Thursday, June 08, 2006

What is the meaning of this?

OK. I never really found the concept of a blog all that appealing. In fact, I still don't. Nothing is more upsetting than to see someone invest so much time in their blog only to see no one has commented on it.

Frankly, no one wants to hear what I think about President Bush, the 2006 midterm elections, or the global war on terror.

But then I figured I could turn this medium into something that would not only be educational but also fun.

You see, I'm a native Houstonian with an interest in local history. I've always been fascinated at whatever purpose some old, decrepit building served years ago. It's amazing to look at one area of the city and realize that a century ago, it may have been a bustling residential area, an industrial center, or even an old Army fort. I always thought that there were still some forgotten pieces of Houston's history just waiting to be uncovered.

I've already started digging. This blog will show what I've found.

I don't plan to update this blog every day. Maybe once a week, maybe a couple of times a month, depending on demand. Either way, I hope you come away from it learning something new about the Bayou City.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting. Your blog address showed up on the Woodland Heights Bulletin Board and I am sure you will get a lot of hits. We are an old Houston neighborhood established in 1907. Our house was built circa 1910 and I love anything I can find about Houston history. I am not a native Houstonian but have lived here since 1984 so maybe I am semi-native......

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger J.R.G. said...

Beth:

Thanks! I used to work in Woodland Heights for a couple of years. Is that old gas station on Michaux (near Pecore?) still there?

I'll see if I can find something on the Heights that I can do a write-up on. In the meantime, I'll include a link to the Woodland Heights group on the links section.

Hugh: Thanks for your comments. Let me know what materials you have sometime, and I'll see if I can incorporate it.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger J.R.G. said...

WPSTX: I just checked out the site, thanks! I could spend all day trying to catch up on the posts. I'll put a link to it on here.

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also from Woodland Heights. Will definitely be keeping up with this blog.
Would love to hear any info you know about how or where to research the original of specific street names in Houston. My street name is an unusual one.

 
At 2:27 AM, Blogger J.R.G. said...

Aggie89: What street is it? The Chronicle did a story sometime around 1999-2001 about the origins of local street names. Keep in mind it's easier to find the origins of a major thoroughfare than a neighborhood street.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger laanba said...

What a great idea for a blog! I look forward to catching up and reading regularly.

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger vikk simmons said...

I just found your site. Great idea. I will probably mention it later this week on my own site.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger dachmation said...

in 1908 a city wide contest winner named AVONDALE the montrose area neighbor hood i live in--now i understand the "stratford" and "Hathaway" street names--does anyone have an idea about "whitney"-"hopkins"-stanford" or "mason"?? i'd love to find out why those names were chosen in 1908

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the very informative and interesting city
pictures. I am grateful to you for you time and effort b

 
At 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Johnny said...

Awesome blog, I love it. I am a native Houstonian. I also love Houston history. Great pictures! Keep up the great work, I'll be checking it out from time to time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home