Monday, June 26, 2006

Metro-area map of Houston



Here's another map of the area. It was part of a street map put out by Gulf Oil sometime during WWII. (City Hall is identified as "new" in this edition.)

The map also features this little gem:

"On the Ninth Floor of the Gulf Building in Houston -- headquarters of the Gulf Tourguide-Fishguide Bureau -- you will find a comfortable lounge, easy chairs, rest rooms, telephones, a place where you can be at home away from home."

I'm sure this doesn't exist today. I wonder when it was shut down?

(And finally, welcome bloghouston.net readers! I hope my first post explains why I created this blog. One thing I forgot to mention was this caveat: Each entry is not the be-all, end-all on a particular topic. My sources include maps, some reference books and an abnormal stack of newspaper clips from Houston's past. If you find an entry that can use some fleshing out, then feel free to contribute!)

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Blogger Brian Oxley said...

Fantastic idea for a blog--love it!

I really enjoyed as a boy going through my grandparent's maps of Houston and seeing how much the city changed.

My grandmother told me what it was like to go up and down Post Oak to traverse from south to north ends of Houston on the west side, before there was a 610, etc.

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JRG, this is a terrific idea for a blog, and I will be recommending it to my friends. When you're in Houston, feel free to check out my collection of old maps of Texas. You can reach me at byron.d.hood@smithbarney.com, or at 713-965-8027.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger J.R.G. said...

Binkley: Yeah, I'm sure there were nothing but fields out that way back then!

Byron: Thanks. I've always had a curiosity for old Texas maps. The only one I could get my hands on is a 1952 Texas roadmap. But I know there are plenty out there that are older than that! Next time I'm in town, I'll be sure to drop you a line.

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of my Texas maps are from the Republic period, 1836-1845, but some go back much earlier. How can I send you suggestions?

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger J.R.G. said...

Byron: Suggestion for future blog postings? You can e-mail me through the link on my profile page.

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice blog. i look forward to more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home