Monday, July 24, 2006

A look back at the River Oaks and Alabama theaters

In light of the recent talk about razing the River Oaks and Alabama Bookstop (Alabama Theater), I'll be posting some of examples of how the theaters are tied to Houston's past.

Other blogs and message boards are doing a great job of getting the word out and letting their opposition be known. Activism isn't a big part of this blog -- history is. But sometimes history shouldn't have to be condemned to memory, old photographs and newspaper clippings. Sometimes it should be preserved for our offspring to enjoy. I'll try to help in any way I can.

Now, let's go back in time, shall we?

Both films were showing in Houston on Nov. 22, 1963.


"This Sporting Life"



"The Leopard"

2 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

I was very disappointed to hear that the River Oaks theatre would be gone soon! It's one of my favorite places to catch an indie flick and will be missed.

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is honesty an outrage..I am literally seething!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home