Friday, July 14, 2006

The Houston municipal song

The city's official song made its debut on July 4, 1915, at the old City Auditorium. A few months later, on Sept. 8, 1915, Houston City Council passed a resolution officially adopting it as the city's municipal song.

Written by Oliver Allstorm, a committee of three people -- including Mayor Ben Campbell -- picked the song "after considering numerous songs, submitted to them."

Campbell (at left) said he hoped the time would come when he "would not be able to walk down the street without hearing at least a dozen Houstonians humming the chorus."

But, like an old school song, the tune has faded from memory. Until now.

Houston Municipal Song
By Oliver Allstorm
Music by Henri Therrien
(To the tune of "It's a Long Way to Tipperary")

Here in dear old Houston, we will sing our song today,
We'll wave our City's banner, it reaches to the bay!
Singing on the Lone Star's glory, what land is more free?
There is no place like Houston, and old Houston is for me!

CHORUS
It's the one place, and it's the dearest
The City I love best!
It's the one place, and it's the dearest
The queen of the mighty West!
So, then give me Houston!
'Tis her I would be,
In the best place of all creation,
My Houston for me.

Our fathers came for freedom, from ev'ry foreign shore,
They found it in New England, but they still wanted more,
Moving westward then to Texas, to Houston so grand,
'Twas here they settled ever in the fertile wonder-land!

(CHORUS)

'Twas here in dear old Texas, down at the Alamo;
Brave Travis, gentle Bowie, and Crockett struck the blow,
Dying nobly for our freedom, for liberty so dear,
They gave us all our glory, and we'll live forever here!

(CHORUS)

Now in dear old Houston, we will forever be,
Our men are mighty builders, our ships sail out to sea,
Building for a greater future, our flag is unfurled --
We're calling to the nation, and inviting all the world!

(CHORUS)

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

I have really enjoyed reading your blog. Gee, I had no idea Houston had an official song.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger J.R.G. said...

Thanks for your kind comment! I don't think the city's council members and the mayor know Houston has an official song!

 
At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting timing here. A few weeks ago I ran across the sheet music for "Houston Municipal Song." Cover has a picture of the three individuals mentioed in blog and also photo of the Port of Houston and a vintage picture of the Houston skyline. Thanks for the tune.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger J.R.G. said...

rdl: No problem! I have a copy of the sheet music. I thought about putting it up as a PDF file but I'm not sure how many people would be interested in that.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger ritap said...

I would love to see a copy of the sheet music as Henri Therrien was my great uncle.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is great! My Great, great, great Grandfather was mayor Campbell. I am sure my grandfather who is 94, will remember it verbatim! If there is anyway you can post the sheet music I would greatly appreciate it.

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger J.R.G. said...

Darby:

You'll find a link to the sheet music on the right side of the blog.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am looking for te score for "The Houston Municipal Song" for the randson of Mayor Campbell who was involved with the song being selected. RDL said he had run across the sheet music for it. Have ypou got it in a fowm you clould e-mail?? or advise me where you saw it? JRG said he could put it up in.pdf. IF he feels a post is not of enough interest, could he send that .pdf to me as noted below
Thanks so much, Eric,

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"gentle Bowie"

???

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Darby. Don't know how old this blog is, but I thought I give it a try. Mayor Campbell was my great (maybe x2) (step- i guess) grandfather as well. I'm not sure if he was my grandmother's (Ruie Campbell Gilbert) step-father or his father, would have to ask my uncles. Anyway, just caught my by surprise when I saw it so I thought I'd say hi. :-)

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh here' my email if you want to get in touch: jimm2224@gmail.com

-James

 

Post a Comment

<< Home