Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Fire at the school

Houston (Central) High School burned March 18, 1919. As firefighters worked to put out the blaze, scores of Houstonians gathered to watch them battle the blaze. Hours later, about 900 students gathered near the building to check out the damage.

"As a matter of fact, not many expressions of regret were heard," the Chronicle reported.

Losses were estimated at $167,000 ($2,053,979 in today's dollars). Ten thousand dollars worth of textbooks were also destroyed ($122,992 today).

The paper said electrical problems may have led to the blaze. The school had been considered a fire trap for years.

"About the time the fire department began arriving on the scene, gases in the building exploded and the southwest corner of the structure was blown out," the paper reported.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Blogger laanba said...

not many expressions of regret were heard

So kids were the same 100 years ago. "Woo hoo the school is burning down!"

Actually I think my students would be really sad if the building burned down, but then again my students are the involved ones.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger J.R.G. said...

Yeah, when I came across that comment in the story I thought, Some things never change.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

LOL, I had the same thoughts as I read that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home