Wednesday, January 17, 2007

What's going on here?

Well, I knew I couldn't maintain a blog about Houston history from South Carolina forever.

What should I do, then?

Why, move to Houston, of course!

After six years of living away from my place of birth, I've taken a job that will bring me back to my hometown.

What does this mean for BCH?

In the short term, expect fewer postings. Yeah, I'll have to pack my belongings and settle in with family until I'm able to find a place of my own. No high-speed internet connection until then, either.

But when I finally get settled, I'll be back to posting regularly. The move couldn't have come at a better time because I was fast running out of things to write. My stack of information here in S.C. is only so large, and it became clear that I would soon run out.

That won't be a problem any longer. In the next month or so, I hope to continue providing details to little-known events in Houston's history.

For example, who was behind the plot to bomb the Galveston causeway? And whatever happened to the alleged German spy arrested in Houston?

That's always been the goal of BCH: to dust off little items of Houston's past that most people either never knew or forgot.

Stay tuned.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Blogger laanba said...

Yay! Glad you are coming home.

 
At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!


Here is a book you might be interested in (I haven't seen or read it):


Historic Houston Streets: The Stories Behind the Names. By Marks Hinton. Houston:
Archival Press of Texas(49 Briar Hollow Lane, Suite 1705, zip 77027), 2006. 231 pages, many b
& w photos, maps, portraits, facsimiles, etc., footnotes. Paperback. $19.95 + $1.65 sales tax +
$4.95 S&H Total= $26.55 ISBN 0-97406-039-9 http://www.archivaltexas.com
archivaltexas@aol.com

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger J.R.G. said...

The book sounds interesting. I would say a subject like that is long overdue.

Yeah, I hope to use the down time over the next few weeks to do some more research. That way, when I finally get back online, I'll have something to write about.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

It will be good to have you here...welcome back!

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Banjo Jones said...

the traffick's gotten worse, but congratulations anyway, i guess

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger J.R.G. said...

Tx runner girl:

Thanks!

Banjo Jones:

Oh yeah. Traffic, crime it's all gotten worse! But if that's what I have to put up with to be closer to family, then I guess I'll have to deal with it.

I won't be back in Houston for good until Saturday.

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home, my friend. Thanks for your blog.

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger J.R.G. said...

Bristlecone:

Thanks. Can't wait to get back. I should be back home this weekend. I still have a 16-hour drive ahead of me in the next 24 hours.

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking back to see if you ever made it back safe and sound to the Bayou City. Good luck with settling in and with the new job. Looking forward to the resumption of posts, but until then... "We'll leave the light on fer ya."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home