Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Plug pulled on East End landmark

(An uncropped version can be found at Wikipedia. Official license.)

According to today's Chronicle, the neon Maxwell House sign is no more. The plant was sold to another company. The sign wasn't part of the sale and is actually a trademark belonging to the previous owner, Kraft Foods.

The article states that Maxwell House moved to the Harrisburg site in 1947. Originally, the location was home to a Ford assembly plant.

Personally, I remember seeing it when I used to look out over Prairie Street from the Wortham Center. It certainly was a distinctive sign at night.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack! I don't have a picture of that!! It is one of those things were you think, oh I'll get a shot of that one day and now I can't. Ack!!!!!

 
At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll miss it...

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger J.R.G. said...

Yeah, it makes me wish I had a picture of it at night. Argh, it's just a memory now!

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very nice flickr person has made a night photo of the sign usable almost without restriction.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rkimpeljr/190796665/

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tmariar, it's the same person who made the day photograph. :-) Thanks for calling me nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home